2010 Preliminary Diagnostic Criteria (Excerpt)
A patient satisfies diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia if the following 3 conditions are met:
- Widespread pain index (WPI) ≥7 and symptom severity (SS) scale score ≥5 or WPI 3 - 6 and SS scale score ≥9.
- Symptoms have been present at a similar level for at least 3 months.
- The patient does not have a disorder that would otherwise explain the pain.
- WPI: note the number areas in which the patient has had pain over the last week. In how many areas has the patient had pain? Score will be between 0 and 19.
Shoulder girdle, left
Shoulder girdle, right
Upper arm, left
Upper arm, right
Lower arm, left
Lower arm, right
Hip (buttock, trochanter), left
Hip (buttock, trochanter), right
Upper leg, left
Upper leg, right
Lower leg, left
Lower leg, right
- SS scale score:
For the each of the 3 symptoms above, indicate the level of severity over the past week using the following scale:
0 = no problem
Considering somatic symptoms in general, indicate whether the patient has:*
1 = slight or mild problems, generally mild or intermittent
2 = moderate, considerable problems, often present and/or at a moderate level
3 = severe: pervasive, continuous, life-disturbing problems
0 = no symptoms
1 = few symptoms
2 = a moderate number of symptoms
3 = a great deal of symptoms
The SS scale score is the sum of the severity of the 3 symptoms (fatigue, waking unrefreshed, cognitive symptoms) plus the extent (severity) of somatic symptoms in general. The final score is between 0 and 12.
* Somatic symptoms that might be considered: muscle pain, irritable bowel syndrome, fatigue/tiredness, thinking or remembering problem, muscle weakness, headache, pain/cramps in the abdomen, numbness/tingling, dizziness, insomnia, depression, constipation, pain in the upper abdomen, nausea, nervousness, chest pain, blurred vision, fever, diarrhea, dry mouth, itching, wheezing, Raynaud's phenomenon, hives/welts, ringing in ears, vomiting, heartburn, oral ulcers, loss of/change in taste, seizures, dry eyes, shortness of breath, loss of appetite, rash, sun sensitivity, hearing difficulties, easy bruising, hair loss, frequent urination, painful urination, and bladder spasms.